[Strategic] Server hardware donation offer

Eugene Usvitsky eugene at usvitsky.com
Fri Feb 11 11:12:32 GMT 2011

Thank you for clarification, Tom.

As far as I understand, the decision is"Will OSMF use these servers?".
The real usage is not so important - you better know how and where
core services and supporting services should be hosted. But the
situation "Rambler provides official servers for global OpenStreetMap
project" differs from "Russian OSM community is hosting something on
Rambler's servers". We should understand that PR and promotion is
currently the only one thing Rambler can really get back for its help
and thus official support form OSMF would be much better.

>From my personal point of view, tile cache and XAPI are important, as
well as planet mirror, but should not it also be used for OSM sandbox?
For second Mapnik (with the same style and stuff, just as a mirror for
the main)? For some additional projects like official maps
convertation for several navigation software like Garmin? For daily
.osm files for each country, similar to CloudMade's and Geofabrik's?
For internal router and data quality checker? There are countless
possible uses.

So the real question is - do OSMF need it?

Best wishes,
Eugene.