[Strategic] Fw: Routing on OSM

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 02:25:56 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Milo van der Linden wrote:
>> It is my personal opinion that routing should not be something the
>> foundation will facilitate. Why? Because it will ask a lot of the hardware
>> and it is not part of the OpenStreetMap foundation mission statement.
>
> I tend to share that sentiment, however the point has been made by some that
> routing - if done properly and integrated well, i.e. not necesarily
> "end-user-facing" - could be a major quality driver. See
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup/250_cities/routing_grid for
> an example how routing was used in an automated fashion to assess data
> quality. There are also many OSM users who would like us to offer a better
> map user experience on www.openstreetmap.org, including routing. Personally,
> I'm more a "www.openstreetmap.org is for mappers, let end users go to
> MapQuest and other user-optimised sites" person but other opinions do exist.

I agree with this, an end user routing interface (like the nroets
demo) is a driver for improving the quality of the data in the OSM
database.

I've made fixes to OSM to help routers (eg. connecting crossing ways
that are really intersections) that I only noticed because of using
the routing demo. Just like the tiles on the main osm page help
mappers map, a routing interface would help us improve quality of the
data.

I'm not trying to make a comment on whether routing should or
shouldn't be on the OSM.org main page or if it should be supported by
the OSMF, I'm just saying that if it were on the main page, it would
make it easier and more accessible for mappers improve the database.