[Strategic] OSM front page discussion and user survey results (with pictures)

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sun May 1 20:20:15 BST 2011

On 01/05/2011 12:42, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> Mockup wanking is Easy and code is Hard and personally I suck at
> JavaScript in general and OpenLayers in particular. So rather than just
> saying "la la la la this is what it should look like", I thought I'd see
> if it was possible to drag an icon from the navbar onto the OL map.
> Turns out it is:
>
> http://richard.dev.openstreetmap.org/osb/index.html
>
> Any interest? Should I hack on this a bit more? Or does someone (Kai?),
> who sucks less at JS than I do, want to do it less ineptly than I would?

Well, I don't really have much clue about OpenLayers (API) either, so
much of my code is either "stolen" from others, or copy and pasted from
examples. So any help is more than welcome.

You can now see at http://openstreetbugs.dev.openstreetmap.org/ the
"drag and drop" solution that I came up with (and the other suggestions
SteveC made).

I still need to fix the visual part of the drag and drop part.

Alternatively, if someone could look at the code and (after running away
screaming about the improvised code) tell me how to do this correctly in
OpenLayers, that would be even better.

Kai