[Strategic] 2012

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 20:38:34 GMT 2012

Hi Strategic

Would anyone be willing to compile together the discussion from the thread, and the irc chat, into a rough draft 2012 plan for SWG?

For the things that don't seem to be settled yet, it would be totally cool to highlight the field of play on the issue.

-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

>________________________________

 after the usual
>>start time to get a reaction from other participants (that was when I
>>spotted that there was in fact activity), during which time he had
>>begun to compose his Friday email, which he intended to send in lieu
>>of the meeting, so that the next meeting could take place in the
>>framework of a planned list of topics, seeded by his email and
>>enriched by contributions from others.
>>
>>It may be that Mikel has the IRC transcript and could post it as a
>>"best set" of minutes, but in effect, after our late start with a
>>small group, we resolved instead to discuss those items that we felt
>>should be on agenda for SWG in 2012. I agreed to send my followup mail
>>by way of communicating the matters discussed at the meeting.
>>
>>Participants who were certainly present: Me, Mikel, apmon, TomH.
>>Others please shout if I have overlooked you. Mikel, do you have the
>>complete transcript? I have only the very tail end which
 RichardF
>>happened still to have in his buffer.

>>> I have difficulty in parsing the above.
>>>
>>> Is there already a definition of what is "suitable", or is defining the
>>> "suitability" something that is part of SWG's role? If the latter, is there
>>> already an idea of what is "suitable" or is this copletely open?
>>
>>Completely open, including the definition of suitability. Both
 this
>>list item and switch2osm arise out of the (granted not universal in
>>the project) principle that we want end users to use our data instead
>>of other map data, among other reasons, because we see that as
>>demonstrating relevance in ways that will attract a bigger and more
>>useful community.
>>
>>So in accepting this into the SWG plan for the year, we are resolving
>>to consider this issue, with all possible outcomes open, including the
>>possibility that we will decide that nothing new needs to be done.
>>
>>> (Is SWG looking for an one-fits-all definition of "suitable" or is it
>>> possible that different tile services are "suitable" for different users?)
>>
>>Granted it hasn't been discussed yet, just accepted as a topic, but
>>I'll peep into my own crystal ball and suggest that not only different
>>tile servers will prove important, but also different data extraction
>>services, search engines, geocoders, routing
 engines, JavaScript