[Tagging] [OSM-talk] connection between 2 islands

Randy rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 1 18:51:40 GMT 2009

Randy wrote:

situation that started this thread.

>The term "embankment" defines the structure on which the road is built in
>the original example for this thread. It doesn't define the highway.

I note that there is a Key:embankment wiki page, which suggest
"embankment=yes" as a tag for highway/railway/waterway=*, in addition to
use in micromapping as "man-made=embankment". While the latter would be my
preferred use of embankment, tagging the byway to show that it shares the
way with an embankment seems reasonable as well. So, one could say, for
the original example, "highway=*, causeway=yes, embankment=yes".

This would, to the extent possible without micromapping, adequately define
the original example. Assuming the above is best practice, then
"highway=*, causeway=yes, bridge=yes" would be the proper tagging for a
causeway built on low pylons or pedestals, such that water, and possibly
small boats can go under it, but not larger boats.

However, this begs the question of whether "causeway=yes" provides any
unique information beyond "highway=*" combined with "embankment=yes" or
"bridge=yes".

--
Randy