[Tagging] bicycle=no

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Wed Dec 2 21:31:37 GMT 2009

Hi all,

Because we were having *so* much fun repeating the footway-cycleway-path debate again, here's another related question: what does bicycle=no actually mean, no bicycles or no cycling?

Last night I asked on IRC whether anyone know how to tag a "Cyclists must dismount" sign, and would bicycle=dismount or similar make sense. A summary of the conversation between several of us:
* Isn't that what bicycle=no means, that's what I thought it meant?
* How do you tag "no bicycles" then, bicycle=really_no_i_mean_it?
* The same would apply to horses, I'd guess you can't walk a horse through a horse=no area
* There are a couple of uses of bicycle=dismount already on osmdoc
* In France, if you are walking your bike you're considered a pedestrian. So it's a footpath
* Over here, you can cycle on any footpath unless otherwise signposted, to confuse the situation
* What does a sign consisting of a crossed red circle with a bike in it mean? That probably varies between countries too

So, tagging list, how are you supposed to tag "cyclists must dismount", tag "no bicycles" and what does bicycle=no mean?