[Tagging] bicycle=no

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Thu Dec 3 14:00:32 GMT 2009

On 03/12/2009, at 8:06 PM, Richard Mann wrote:
> On public land you can usually push a bike and be treated as a pedestrian, but that's not always the case on private land (eg the University Parks in Oxford) - bicycles are banned altogether.

Most of the time when I've seen those signs it has probably been on private land, but I couldn't be certain it was all of them.

> So there is a distinction, but it can probably be achieved by using bicycle=no for situations where riding is not allowed, and access=private+foot=permissive for situations where bicycles aren't allowed.

That sounds reasonable to me. If everyone like that, is it worth putting on the 'access' wiki page as an example for how to tag something not completely obvious?

> I've seen bicycle=dismount tags. This is for situations on UK highways where there's a sign saying "Cyclists Dismount" - but in the UK there is no formal offence for disobeying the sign, and most cyclists would treat the sign as meaning "slow down and be careful". This probably ought to be tagged using a different key, since it is probably UK-specific.

Several of the "cyclists dismount" signs over here in Australia are at crossings, where you are supposed to dismount anyway, so those ones are presumably a "no really, we mean it" reminder as you could in theory be booked for no doing it anyway. For the ones where you could otherwise ride you bike, I don't know if they have any legal force (not being a cyclist myself).