[Tagging] More cycleway=* values needed

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.dk
Mon Dec 7 01:06:29 GMT 2009

On 06/12/2009, at 16.16, Dave F. wrote:

> Unfortunately I couldn't view your photo, but going on Steve B.'s
> link,

Oops, I forgot to attach the pictures. Try again :-) The first picture
is typical of a city street, where you'll often see cars parked on the
street along the cycleway. The second picture is a cycleway along a
larger road, typically leading into a city. (The sidewalk is on the
far side of the strip of grass.)

> I'd map it separate from the road & tag it as highway=cycleway & leave
> it as that.
> It makes cycleway=track redundant:

We use this in several cases, however, we have so many cycleways here,
that in cities it becomes unmanagable to use separate ways. I am
willing to explain this in depth, but I don't want to introduce that
discussion in this thread.

It is the feeling of the danish OSM community that we need to be able
to tag cycleways that are part of the road construct, separated with a
curbstone like seen in the two pictures below.

Regarding the "kerb" vs. "curb" question, the dictionary tells me that
"kerb" is british english, whereas "curb" is international english. I
think we want to stick with international english, right?

Cheers,
Morten