[Tagging] bicycle=no

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Mon Dec 7 15:23:06 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 08:21:33PM -0500, Anthony wrote:

> What does "no bicycles" mean?  Can you show a picture of a sign which
> means you aren't allowed to carry a bicycle through this area?

It's already been mentioned lower down in the thread, but Oxford
University's Parks:
http://oxford.cyclestreets.net/location/17862/
http://oxford.cyclestreets.net/location/17863/ "No Cycles or Cycling"
(click for the large version - the quote is from the second bullet point in
each case)

Christ Church (College) Meadows:
http://oxford.cyclestreets.net/location/17860/ "No Bicycles either wheeled
or ridden"
http://oxford.cyclestreets.net/location/17861/ "Bicycles strictly forbidden"

Yes, in both cases these are private land, but in both cases they are very
useful pedestrian routes. A routing engine should use these paths for foot
traffic (during daylight hours - another problem!), but know not to use them
for bicycles, not even with a "dismount for this section" instruction.
However, a "dismount for this section" flag could be useful - it's often
quicker to push your bike through a pedestrian zone in a city-centre than it
is to take the diversion that allows cycling.

For what it's worth, cyclestreets.net (I'm just a user, not otherwise
involved) now matches any way tagged "bicycle=no" to their "prohibited"
provision. Details at http://oxford.cyclestreets.net/views/howTagsUsed/ -
but you'll need to register/log in.