[Tagging] More cycleway=* values needed

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:17:28 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Richard Mann
<richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I wasn't aware of any distinction between cycleway=track and
> highway=cycleway, other than that the first doesn't render (yet) and the
> second renders badly.

I don't think there's much difference in nature, it's more a
difference in the way of tagging - it's comparable to the difference
between tagging a POI and using exactly the same tag on an area: Both
can be used to tag the same situation. Still, the larger something is,
the more chance the mapper will use the area possibility. The same for
cycleway=track vs. highway=cycleway: The more tenuous the connection
between cycleway and road, the more chance that the cycleway will get
a separate way. I have stated where I put the boundary, but I think
it's unavoidable that different mappers will put the boundary
different, I even know there are some who never use cycleway=track,
but always render separately.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com