[Tagging] parking

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 11:46:06 GMT 2009

How should a parking lot be tagged, that is provided for customers,
e.g. at a restaurant, or retail business? It may be signed as such
(e.g. "Customers only"), or may not. Generally there is no gate
restricting access, parking is free, and you would generally assume
you could legally drive through the parking lot (but not park) if you
weren't a customer.

The wiki (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dparking)
says "private parking lots such as for a company are not tagged" but
"Parking lots at cinemas, convention centers etc. which are for public
use but with restricted access should still be mapped".

This seems more complicated than it needs to be.

The most intuitive tagging for me is "amenity=parking +
parking=customer". Other options are:

* access=destination - but I think that should only be applied to highways
* operator=* - but this doesn't seem to imply clearly enough that the
right to park may be restricted
* a (new?) relation to indicate the relationship between the business
entity and the parking lot (only vaguely related to the proposed
"Site" relation:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Site)

Thoughts?