[Tagging] parking

Cartinus cartinus at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 9 00:15:47 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 12:46:06 Roy Wallace wrote:
> How should a parking lot be tagged, that is provided for customers,
> e.g. at a restaurant, or retail business? It may be signed as such
> (e.g. "Customers only"), or may not.

Once upon a time there was an explanation of what access=permissive means /
where it can be used somewhere in the wiki. One of the examples it used was a
carpark at a pub for customers only.

> The wiki (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dparking)
> says "private parking lots such as for a company are not tagged" but
> "Parking lots at cinemas, convention centers etc. which are for public
> use but with restricted access should still be mapped".

I don't know where this nonsense comes from, but I don't have time to fix the
wiki tonight. I remember that when I had just joined OSM (late '07) there was
made some change to how either osm2pgsql or the mapnik stylesheet worked.
This was specifically done to be able to map non-public carparks. The result
of it was that only carparks without an access tag or with access=public get
a blue "P".

--
m.v.g.,
Cartinus