[Tagging] bicycle=no

David Calder davidjcalder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 20:09:10 GMT 2009

As a travelling cyclist I need to know if I am going to be able to take a
particular road or not before I get there. I know bicycles are not permitted
on motorways/autobahns/autovias etc so I suspect that it is implied that
bicycle=no on roads designated as such on the Map. But sometimes, you can be
travelling along a normal main road - a road=primary or road=trunk for
example and suddenly you'll come across a sign like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67276243@N00/4147702071/

and then find yourself having to re-route your journey adding another 20,
30, 40km - not nice to find out just as it's getting dark. I've yet to see a
paper map that will give you this information, so bicycle=no in the legal
sense on OSM is very important to me. Just my 2p...