[Tagging] A second step towards bringing the wiki and tool support closer together

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 06:40:17 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Cartinus <cartinus at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Data is grouped in layers.
> These layers get their data from a datasource.
> This data is styled with styles.
>
> Some styles contain a filter expression, to restrict the application of that
> style to only a limited number of items within the layer.
>
> Other styles simply apply to all the data within the layer..
>

> The layer for turning circles has a datasource which only returns highway
> points with the tag value "turning_circle". So the style applied there
> doesn't need any filter.
>
> The layers that paint the place labels and amenity icons have datasources that
> return data with multiple possible values for the place/amenity tag. So more
> selection is needed in the style applied there.

Thanks very much for the explanation - I think I'm still only
scratching the surface here.

Anyway, I'll see if I can extend my xslt mangling to detect this kind
of thing. Looks possible with a couple of regexes.

><http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=conservation&go=Go>

Yep, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/conservation
is yet another example of a proposal that appears to have run out of
steam. I don't think the proposal process is working. I also confess
to not understanding the difference between land_use=nature_reserve
and land_use=conservation after reading that page. Fwiw, I would have
thought it makes more sense to tag/render it as a boundary rather than
the area itself.

Steve