[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Fri Dec 11 11:02:06 GMT 2009

On 11/12/2009, at 5:44 PM, Roy Wallace wrote:
> The current wiki definition of highway=cycleway is "mainly or
> exclusively for bicycles". This I cannot be sure of from the aerial
> imagery, nor can I of anything to do with the law. What to do...

Ah, the curse of NearMap being too good.

The current solution I've seen near Brisbane is "do whatever you prefer", which is why several paths flip back and forwards between footway and cycleway depending on who traced each section :-\ Given that I don't know which is appropriate, I haven't felt like retagging my many kilometres of inter-connected footways or someone else's many kilometres of inter-connected cycleway - especially since they may have had more than just the imagery to go on.

I hope no-one wants to do bicycle routing over those paths.