[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri Dec 11 12:20:57 GMT 2009

Roy Wallace wrote:
> If I trace (from aerial imagery) a path that I'm pretty sure would be
> great to ride on, and that appears to have been made nice and wide for
> cyclists, could/should I tag this as highway=cycleway? I know that
> pedestrians are probably welcome to walk on it as well (in Australia,
> no one is going to kick a pedestrian off a bikeway like the one I am
> referring to).
>
> Could/should I add an additional tag to clarify that I really don't
> know the legal status/designation/whatever of the path? If yes, what
> should that additional tag be?
>
> The current wiki definition of highway=cycleway is "mainly or
> exclusively for bicycles". This I cannot be sure of from the aerial
> imagery, nor can I of anything to do with the law. What to do...

Hi Roy

The answer is No, don't tag it as a cycleway if you don't that it's a
cycleway.
Map what you see on the ground. If there's no sign or you don't have a
document stating it as one, don't tag it.

Remember with the cycleway tag we're stating it's legal status as a
highway, not the suitability to use it as one (eg surface, width,
steepness etc)

Cheers
Dave F.