[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 21:41:48 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Nop <ekkehart at gmx.de> wrote:

>> Could/should I add an additional tag to clarify that I really don't
>> know the legal status/designation/whatever of the path? If yes, what
>> should that additional tag be?
>
> An additional tag or Fixme will not help, as it is ingored by tools and
> renderers and your message is lost on the way to the user.

The intention is not for the Fixme tag to help users, but to help
mappers. I guess I'm wondering if marking highway=cycleway when you're
99% sure it'll end up as a highway=cycleway (plus an additional tag to
indicate that there's 1% chance that you're wrong) is better than
marking, say, highway=road.

I'm starting to think it is better. Remember that this is outer
suburban Australia - we've got a lot of ground to cover, and not many
people. I'd rather take a guess if I've got a fairly good idea (with a
suitable note=* or *=unsure) than leave it for someone else...

My question really is what kind of note=* or *=unsure would be most
useful for other mappers.