[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 04:01:11 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> I spotted two or three bicyclists near two or three pedestrians.  Looks like
> shared-use, which means highway=path.

I vehemently object to this rule that "shareduse means highway=path".
I think the wiki just hasn't caught up with reality yet.

The reason I object is that non-shared-use cycleways are practically
non existent in most countries, rendering the cycleway=* tag pretty
much useless. IMHO, shared use means "highway=cycleway
bicycle=designated foot=designated".

I'd like to get into the wiki and mark all the cycling pages as "there
is little consensus for the status quo, please participate in the
discussion at X". What do you think?

Steve