[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Dec 12 04:12:34 GMT 2009

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Anthony wrote:
>  Still, I think
> I spotted two or three bicyclists near two or three pedestrians.  Looks
> like shared-use, which means highway=path.

No
a cycleway is a way which is free of bicycle obstructions and that is not
implicit in the path at all.
I do understand that a kerb and a fence are merely relative obstructions to
bicycles, however the cycleway tag means that you can cycle along without
having to get off and port your bicycle over a fence
(i admit to seeing kissing gates on a cycleway in adelaide, but that was to
force cyclists to dismount before an at grade railway crossing)