[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Dec 12 06:52:05 GMT 2009

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Anthony wrote:
> I'm asking what you think the definition within the wiki ought to be.  Liz
> gave one, "a way which is free of bicycle obstructions".  I don't think it
> was a good one - even if you ignore ways which allow motor vehicle traffic,
> and ways which prohibit bicycles, that definition still would include far
> too many areas where bicycle traffic is only a small fraction compared to
> pedestrian traffic.
that's a pedestrian's point of view.
i was considering a cyclist's point of view (i'm not that fond of walking)
currently i'm looking at the Australian legal definitions because i'm sure the
traffic engineers have answered these questions for us already.
looking at the Austroads handbook isn't so easy - they charge for the pdf so i
read it where someone else has paid for the copy, like a uni library.
but that book tells about the design and construction parameters, which we may
need so we can reverse-engineer the system for a mapper to decide which is
which