[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 13:52:53 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> Anthony wrote:
>>
>> Hmm, the resolution isn't quite as good as I was expecting.  Still, I
>> think I spotted two or three bicyclists near two or three
>> pedestrians.  Looks like shared-use, which means highway=path.
> I think this is the wrong way to decide. You're being presumptive.
> Just because you */see /*cyclists/walkers it doesn't mean they have the
> */right /*to go there.

Honestly, tagging on the basis of measured human activity doesn't
work. Plenty of genuine bike paths get more foot traffic than wheeled
traffic. The "Great Divide Trail" hiking trail gets more mountain
bikes than hikers.

The only viable approaches are those based on physical observations
and legislation/planning documents.

Steve