[Tagging] Comparison of tag support: Mapnik, Osmarender, Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, Map Features (wiki)

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 14 00:13:16 GMT 2009

Am 13.12.2009 22:41, schrieb Steve Bennett:

Hi Steve!

First of all, big thanks for taking the time to make the differences
visible!!!

To be honest I expected a lot of differences in the renderer rules.

Partly because of differences in the intention of the renderers. It
makes a difference if you want to have a nice map or if you want to aid
in editing.

But also because different people are writing the rules. I think most of
the people working on mapnik, osmarender, Kosmos or JOSM won't often
work also with other renderers at the same time.

So after years, differences become extremely likely.

I've changed some of the JOSM rules already to make things a little bit
better :-)

> I think redirects make sense where we're already documenting *some* of
> the values.

There is also other stuff, e.g. the widely used piste map things that
are documented at:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Piste_Maps.

> Yeah, but it's hard to tell the difference between "new tag that has
> been proposed and accepted but not widely used yet" and "tag that was
> added at the whim of a rendererer but has no support". Sort of the
> essence of this issue!

If we only had these problems ... ;-)

Regards, ULFL