[Tagging] Comparison of tag support: Mapnik, Osmarender, Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, Map Features (wiki)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 10:53:09 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Stephan Wolff gave some comments on talk-de that I'll try to translate:
>
> a) which versions of the programs / rules are displayed? How old is the
> table?

It's all very current (less than a week), based on the head versions
in the SVN. One of the next steps will be to make the XSLT use those
files directly out of the SVN, rather than the arbitrary directories I
put them in on my hard disk.

You're very correct to ask what versions the table is generated from:
that should be included information.

> b) what does "highway=*" or "man_made=*" mean?

Another excellent question. It generally refers to a test where the
key is tested, but no specific value for the value. It might look like
"where highway is not null" or "<filter key="man_made">". It depends
on the specific file. The only exception is a rule I put in for OSM to
deal with that rule that had a set of several keys times several dozen
values. In that case I just ignore all the keys, and pretend they were
"=*".

> c) why is that "power=line" and "power=tower" and lot's of others
> displayed in the map have no entry in the Mapnik column?

I didn't notice that, thanks Lennard for the answer.

> d) will a tag be displayed as node, way, area or only one of them?

I haven't yet paid any attention to that information, mostly because I
couldn't think of how to cleanly squeeze it into the table. I intend
to do so though.

> e) for mapnik and osmarender the minimum zoomlevel would be helpful

I shall investigate. It may not be for a few days though.

> d) would be helpful but probably clutter the table a lot
> e) would be helpful but not critical (any probably clutter the table a lot)

One of the major problems I'm facing is the size of the table
overloading mediawiki. Already I have to try saving the table several
times in some instances.

> The questions were already answered on talk-de, but this might give you
> an idea of what the table is missing for the interest of "normal
> mappers" :-)

Oh, *now* you tell me. :)

Steve