[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 14 18:21:50 GMT 2009

On 14/12/2009 09:15, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Roy Wallace<waldo000000 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I disagree - from the wiki: highway=path is "a route open to the
>> public which is not intended for motor vehicles with four or more
>> wheels". I think highway=path is perfect. It's plain English.
>>
> Yeah, the /examples subpage is great, too. Serious question: does
> anyone use the tag this way? My concern is that renderers generally
> just look at the key (path) and render it as though it was a dirt path
> (dotted brown line). Whereas you're essentially saying they should
> look at all the tags together, and possibly render as a footway, a
> cycleway, etc. And that might be asking too much.

Yes, some renderers do. At least OpenCycleMap does anyway - it renders
highway=path + foot=yes the same as highway=footway, and renders
highway=path + bicycle=yes the same as highway=cycleway (and
highway=footway + bicycle=yes is rendered the same as highway=cycleway).

I don't know if any other renderers do this. It would also be useful if
tags like surface= etc were rendered in some way.

Craig