[Tagging] Comparison of tag support: Mapnik, Osmarender, Potlatch, JOSM, Kosmos, Map Features (wiki)

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 14 21:07:11 GMT 2009

Am 14.12.2009 11:59, schrieb Steve Bennett:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Pieren<pieren3 at gmail.com>  wrote:

> Btw, I do think that OpenHikingMap should interpret highway=cycleway
> exactly the same way as OpenCycleMap, OpenSwimMap,
> OpenMarijuanaMap...etc. They will each render it differently, but it
> should *not* be the case that "cycleway" means a paved surface in
> OpenSwimMap but it means a mountain biking trail in OpenHikingMap.
>
> Does that make sense? It's pretty important.

Till today I only have seen maps that rendering a cycleway only with a
specific visual representation. It was up to the user to get the
semantic behind the "magenta thin line"

The real problems "now" showing up with the routing software, there it
is essential to distinguish between surfaces, if it's legal to use the
way (or not) and all such details.

>> You are really expecting too much from the "rendering" side of the
>> project. What we need is a clear definition of the tags and this is
>> done by searching a consensus on the wiki and on this list and we see
>> if we succeed or fail with the statistics.
>
> Absolutely. I'm only constantly referring to the renderers because
> they're the physical manifestation of that definition. There may be
> other uses of OSM data, but the renderers matter the most.

Well, not in the regard that you seem to have in mind :-)

>> So, what we have to do first, if we have to fix priorities, is to
>> improve the definitions of the tags, avoid duplicates or changes in
>> the meaning of the tags one year or two after their creation (e.g. the
>> other thread about cycleway on this ML).
>
> Yes. Part of the process fixing a tag may involve mass updates to
> existing data, or, more painfully, deprecation and a slow, manual
> check and update.

Mass updates will often be seen as a bad move :-)

Regards, ULFL