[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledgeof the law?

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 14 23:15:47 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > highway=path for rough paths
> > highway=footway for paved paths
> But how would you expect this to solve the current problem? Do you
> think it's just a matter of tweaking some wiki definitions?
>
> Also, with the above proposed definitions, why is there a need to use
> different top-level highway=* values just based on the surface?
> There's a tag for surface, and it's called surface=*.

I don't think it solves the problem, merely avoids using tag/sets that
substantial numbers of people seem to use in different ways.

Why the footway/path distinction - because that's what people have done
(there's probably more than 100,000 paths in fields and forests in Germany
by now). If surface was just paved/unpaved then people wouldn't use the
path/footway distinction, but surface has a good five common values, and no
obvious boundaries on what values might be used.

Richard