[Tagging] Tagging highway=cycleway without explicit knowledge of the law?

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:18:46 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

>> highway=cycleway only used for well-engineered & public/permanant
>> cycle tracks (ie could you safely do 20kph on it)
>
> ???
> It's only a cycleway only if it's signed or documented as a cycleway.
>
> Your logic is flawed:
> "Cycle up a steep hill at 20kph? No? Oh, well, it can't be a cycleway
> then can it"
>
> If your assuming that cycleway are only like the paved ones that follow
> the at the side roads then you're looking a then from a very narrow
> point of view.
>
> Tag what you can actually see.

That's what I want to say to _you_. Tag what you can actually see. And
where I live, that usually does not include municipial regulations.
Whether a path is meant for cyclists or just for pedestrians, is
something I decide from the path and what's around it,  not from a
daily rush to the city hall to spit through meters of official
documents. If it's two meters wide, and the curves are rounded rather
than sharp, I call it a cycleway. If it ends at a pavement alongside a
cycleway, and nothing has been done to smoothen the step that exists
from cycleway to pavement at that point, I call it a footway.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com