[Tagging] bicycle=no

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:03:19 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> In terms of 2), there are maybe four categories:
> 1) High quality bike paths: wide, smooth asphalt, gentle corners, no kerbs.
> 2) Lower quality paths: concrete, or narrow, or with bumps and kerbs and
> stuff
> 3) Unsealed paths.
> 4) Paths that bikes are banned from.

Nice analysis :). But just because this may be "all you care about",
it doesn't mean it's an appropriate set of categories to use for
tagging.

1) You gotta tag with verifiable tags. "Wide=yes", "smooth=yes",
"gentle=yes", "bumps_and_kerbs_and_stuff=yes", etc., are not
verifiable.
2) As I've said before, you gotta tag explicitly. Look at those
categories - what are the factors involved in categorisation?:

a) width
b) surface
c) corners
d) presence of barriers
e) the law

Funnily enough, all of this stuff can already be tagged explictly and
verifiably (see width=*, surface=*, barrier=*, etc.). Sure, you might
be able to save a couple of KB's in the database by using your
conglomerated, fuzzy categorisation scheme, but I think you'll find it
won't solve the current problem.