[Tagging] [OSM-talk] tagging Greenways

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Dec 18 13:48:05 GMT 2009

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> writes:

> Sam Vekemans wrote:
>
>> Where the only way i know to map it is to use a relation and call it
>> "route=greenway" and dont have it render on the cyclemap.   Just map the
>> sections as appropriate.
>
> Greenway is the US/Canadianism for "cycleway."

I don't follow this.  I think that in the US a cycleway would be called
either a "bike path" or "rail trail", depending on origin.

I would use "greenway" to describe a large linear park that might
contain a bike path and footpaths, as in

http://www.rosekennedygreenway.org/

Using greenway to describe a cycleway seems odd to me, although I
suspect that the term greenway does not have an established meaning, and
people think it means whatever the local "Foo Greenway" is.