[Tagging] Post_Box and addr:* nodes

Randy rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 19 06:47:29 GMT 2009

Matthias Julius wrote:

>I wonder what purpose this is supposed to serve.  If a post box is
>attached to a building it might make sense to represent that in OSM.
>But, the fact that is is near a specific building is best indicated by
>putting it near that building, IMHO.
>
>Matthias

I concur. IMHO, a "housenumber" address is basically for the purpose of
being able to route to that location, or pick it out on the map (assuming
housenumbers are displayed by the renderer). I can't think of a way that
adding the address to the post box adds any additional useful information,
and could be confusing, both logically and statistically. If you want to
route to the post box, route to the housenumber (of the building). It will
take you close enough to the post box. A POI node on the map (if rendered)
would then give you the precise location. If you want to "find the nearest
post box", that's a geographical search, not an address search. Now if
there is no building at the location, and the post box does have an
address, then unless you are adding housenumbers to vacant lots, adding
the address to the post box *might* make sense.

--
Randy