[Tagging] bicycle=no

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 00:32:22 GMT 2009

2009/12/22 Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>:

> I'm gonna have to disagree... if it allows both pedestrians and
> bicycles, that would be a cycleway in most cases.

Around me, that is not the case.  The law where I live is that anybody
is allowed to cycle on any footpath, unless it is otherwise signed, or
there is an adjacent cycle-lane or track (and even there, you only
have to use the cycle track "if convenient" - ie, it's not blocked).
And I've only seen a very few paths that are signed no bicycles, or
pedestrian only.

So (almost) every footpath in my area allows both pedestrians and
bicycles.  However, some of the footpaths are definitely not
cycleways.  They are very narrow, have sharp turns or gates, steps,
steep gutters, etc. Just because it's legal to cycle on them, doesn't
mean they were designed for it.  I wouldn't mark any of these ways as
cycleway, though I might add bicycle=yes if it is possible (though not
necessarily advisable) to take a bike through them.

Stephen