[Tagging] Tag highway that goes through/under a building

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 12:09:49 GMT 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How to tag a highway that goes through/under a building? In this
>> example, the service road is incorrectly rendered in mapnik as being
>> on top of the building, despite the building having layer=1:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/316607432
>
> Don't blame the messenger, but
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/covered was approved.

To me, this is redundant given layer=1 in the provided example i.e.
the presence of the building with layer=1 *already* implies
covered=yes for the section of highway under the building.

Perhaps this is just a problem with the renderer. I assumed, though,
that surely this issue has already come up at some point (and
therefore there must be some tag I have missed)? Are there really no
ways already mapped (and rendered correctly) that pass through a
building? Undercover service=parking_aisle's, for example? No?