[Tagging] Tag highway that goes through/under a building

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Sun Dec 27 16:17:36 GMT 2009

John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/12/27 Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com>:
>> therefore there must be some tag I have missed)? Are there really no
>> ways already mapped (and rendered correctly) that pass through a
>> building? Undercover service=parking_aisle's, for example? No?
>
> Probably not, at least not buildings, since most of the time it's
> difficult/impossible to do accuracy mapping under cover, so most
> people probably just draw the buildings and skip the highway=service
> ways...

One example where this would not be a good idea is Park Avenue in New
York which splits around Grand Central Station and then goes through the
center of the building behind the station.

The rendering of this is not only a matter of z-ordering since we
probably don't want those roads to be simply covered up by the
building.  Instead they should be rendered similar to roads in tunnels.
Without a special tag it is hard to define render rules for a "road that
is covered by a building".

Matthias