[Tagging] Should 'highway=incline[_steep]' be discouraged?

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 21:10:16 GMT 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 2:33 AM, Matthias Julius <lists at julius-net.net> wrote:

> IMO, inclines should always apply to ways only and there is already a
> tag for that: 'incline=*'.  This also applies to nodes currently and I
> would discourage this practice as well.  Only a few nodes exist with
> this tag anyway.
>
> 'incline=*' can have the values 'up/down' for cases when the exact value
> is unknown.  It does not currently have an equivalent for
> 'highway=incline_steep'.  We can extend 'incline=*' to also allow
> 'up_steep/down_steep' as values.

Yup, highway=incline and highway=incline_steep are redundant. A few
other points re: wiki clean-up:

The definition on Map Features - "Incline steepness as percents" - is
a little different to the details given at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:incline. I.e. "the practical
maximum incline on the steep section" and the use of incline=up/down.
The definition on Map Features should make it clear it's used for
*maximum* incline, or alternatively be up/down.

Also, the suggestion to use "FIXME=check incline" to indicate an
approximation IMHO should be replaced with an appropriate
source:incline=* tag.

Also, incline=* is still mathematically valid for nodes to indicate
the instantaneous incline at that point, so I don't see a problem with
that.