[Tagging] Should 'highway=incline[_steep]' be discouraged?

Matthias Julius lists at julius-net.net
Tue Dec 29 00:30:23 GMT 2009

Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> but it still is strange to tag a node with a tag the meaning of
>> which depends on a way, isn't it?
>
> Or more precisely, depends on a direction.

This is exactly my point.  It is unexpected (at least to me) when it is
necessary to look up a way to understand a tag on a node.  To me a node
can not have an incline.  One could model this with a relation saying
that this way has an incline at that node.

Are there any other "official" node tags that depend on a parent way to
be fully defined?

There are close to 1000 nodes with a oneway tag according to osmdoc.

There are also some oneway tags with some rather interesting values like
"-1; 1; 1; 1; -1; -1" or "yahoo".

Anyway, I would like to add a note to the 'highway=incline|incline_steep'
tags on Map Features saying that they discouraged in favor of
'incline=*'.  I think there should not be redundant tagging schemes in
Map Features.  I would also add the values 'up_steep' and 'down_steep'
to 'incline=*' for this to be a equivalent replacement of the highway
tags.

I would also like to change 'incline=*' so it does not apply to nodes
anymore.  But, if there are objections I will hold off on this one.

Matthias