[Tagging] Highway property proposal "covered=yes"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 13:32:10 GMT 2009

2009/10/31 Randy <rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com>

> >I'm still not sure if my example should be tagged with "tunnel" or
> >not.  To my mind something doesn't become a tunnel just because you
> >build something over top of it.  According to the wiki, "The tunnel
> >tag is used to map ways that runs through an underground passage."
> >Emphasis mine.
> >
> >Anthony

+1

> I think "underground" is an unfortunate qualifier on tunnels, and I'd like
> to see it removed.

no.

> First of all, it's inaccurate. Look at the online
> dictionaries.

no, don't look at "online dictionaries" when talking about technical issues
that are well defined. IMHO the online dictionaries are inaccurate at this
point.

> Secondly, if adopted strictly, if forces the creation of a
> separate tag with identical functionality for the above ground case.

Which does make sense. A tunnel going underground can be crossed mostly
without even noticing the tunnel while a street that is covered or inside a
tube at groundlevel will mostly be an uncrossable obstacle, so that the
impact of this difference is huge! The functionality might in some cases be
identical for who uses the tunnel / street, but it is not for the rest.

cheers,
Martin