[Tagging] Feature: "covered=yes" - Added to Map Features Properties

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 20:22:20 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Randy <rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've added the key/value "covered=yes" to the Map Features property
> section. The purpose is to provide for tagging of nodes/ways/areas which
> are covered by another object, such as a building, where it is not
> appropriate to designate them at different layers.
>
> It may also be used to designate buried objects, such as a buried power
> line or buried water main, where these are not in a tunnel or conduit. Or,
> to tag a buried area, such as an underground reservoir or cistern, or
> possibly an underground parking lot, where there is no other structure
> completely covering it to provide a different layer.
>
> I researched "covered" and "buried" in the wiki, and didn't run across any
> conflicts except for a Belgian reference to "man_made=reservoir_covered",
> which would indicate a single case of redundancy.

For a tag like this one (that could potentially confuse people about
the usage of "tunnel" and "layer"), I think you have to move this on a
Proposal page first as many did in the past and provide a better
description explaining where are the limits of its usage (when it is a
tunnel and when not). (for instance, the definition about tunnel being
only underground is not correct) . Then call for comments on the main
ML and not only for the three guys subscribed to this relative new
list to get a maximum of comments.

Pieren