[Tagging] Are tunnels only below ground? (Was

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed Nov 4 10:50:03 GMT 2009

2009/11/4 Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) <ajrlists at googlemail.com>

> oh and I forgot to give a word of warning in the other direction. Some
> structures that you might think are bridges are actually tunnels because of
> the way they were constructed, but I'll leave that to another day ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

This may be a stupid way of looking at but its the simlest I see.

All Ways passing Under another Way are tunnels and all ways passing over
another way are bridges.

Why?

Bridges have height restrictions?

Clearly no, the way over the top does not have a height restriction but the
way underneath does. The height restrictions needs to go on the way
underneath not the bridge, which causes the restriction.

On the other hand a tunnel may have a weight restriction which limits
vehicles traveling over the tunnel, it would be stupid to tag the tunnel...

I think the way this is going is that bridges and tunnels should be
relations tagging which way(s) go over/under which other way(s) and what
restrictions apply to what.

The issue here is the difference between a tunnel and a bridge may be not as
clear as it first looks. If someone tags a tunnel as a bridge and it looks
like a bridge then fine, If someone later checks and has good reason to
think its a tunnel really then change it, as long as its correct its fine.
However the tags might refer just as much to the ways passing over the
tunnel as to those passing under it.

Peter