[Tagging] Are tunnels only below ground? (Was

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed Nov 4 11:53:38 GMT 2009

2009/11/4 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> 2009/11/4 Richard Bullock <rb357 at cantab.net>
>

>> We don't *have* to stick to dictionary definitions here when tagging, as
>> long as the meaning is clear;
>>
>> exactly, this is not generally about dictionary definitions but about the
> meaning of words. Dictionaries can give you hints if you're unsure. If we
> use tunnel for all kind of holes you can creep in, the meaning will no
> longer be clear.
>

>> If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then define it to be a duck.
>>
>> +1. And if it doesn't walk like a duck _and_ talk like a duck it is not a
> duck.
>

>> A passageway through a building (but, say, without being inside that
>> building) is, to all intents and purposes, a tunnel.
>

> a passageway through a building that is not inside that building will be
> hard to find. (how do you define: is not inside?)

Its a Way under a building where the building is either on legs or exists
above and on both sides on the way. The way not blocked by a door (to enter
the building). However other barrier (eg Staggered Fence or Gate) may exist
to limit access to the way. The way is however at ground level.

That way maybe or any type including road, railway or waterway....

These are quite common in the Uk. (Do I need to find a photo)

Peter.