[Tagging] Sourced from somewhere it shouldn't have been

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 5 07:56:54 GMT 2009

Dave

May be wise to be careful here! I am deliberately cross-posting to 'talk'
group given the potential importance of the issue.

Why do you assume that Ordnance Survey 7th Series mapping is NOT out of
copyright?

As far as I know the Crown Copyright rule is 50 years.

The 7th Series maps were published from 1952 to 1972 (with later revisions).
My clock says it is 2009 now (;>)

So if the source mapping happened to be one of the older ones (would need to
know which individual sheet and revision) it could well be out of copyright
and legitimate.

I thought that the problem was more that the nice people at OSM hadn't got
round to doing the rectification etc. to make the older 7th series mapping
readily available as an overlay like the NPE.

Mike Harris