[Tagging] Are tunnels only below ground? (Was

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Nov 10 22:02:40 GMT 2009

Anthony wrote:

> By the way...
>
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Randy <rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> From the picture, it appears that where the road is covered by the
>> building there is actually a pedestrian way and doors into the building
>> from the highway. If that's the case, then it is clearly not a tunnel, be
>> it above or below ground.
>
> If it were underground (with doors into a basement), I'd probably call
> it a tunnel.  Are subway platforms tunnels?

Some are, some aren't.  Something like New York City Hall Station (yeah,
I know it's closed) is clearly a subway tunnel station.  Then there's
situations like much of the Boston MBTA or the San Fransisco MUNI or the
Portland MAX Blue Line, which are all light rail systems with some (or
even mostly) underground stations, not technically subways.