[Tagging] How to tag un-named roundabout?

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Nov 19 18:15:49 GMT 2009

Mike N. wrote:
> I have run into several un-named roundabouts which contain 3-6 feeder roads.
> Keepright, etc consider an unnamed road as an error.

If you want to make it clear that there really is no name for that road
(or roundabout, in your case), you can use one of the solutions suggested on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Noname ,
for example the rather popular noname=yes:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:noname

It should be noted, however, that this is optional - a road without a
name tag isn't an error, and it is perfectly appropriate to simply not
set a name tag for the roundabout. Keepright's assumption that every way
with a highway tag needs to have a name is simply not adequate.

Tobias Knerr