[Tagging] shared driveways

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Nov 21 01:32:28 GMT 2009

Anthony <osm at inbox.org> writes:

> Regarding the apartment complex, the parcel data is not out of date.
> That's just the way apartment complexes are parceled here.  There's
> only one owner.  Condominium associations would have a separate parcel
> for shared areas, because there's more than one owner.

ok - that is entirely believable, and would make me tend to say
driveway.

> I found the appropriate definition in Florida's statutes:
>
> "(53)  STREET OR HIGHWAY.--
>
> (b)  The entire width between the boundary lines of any privately
> owned way or place used for vehicular travel by the owner and those
> having express or implied permission from the owner, but not by other
> persons"

so in your apartment case, there are maybe not really boundary lines in
the legal sense, but WANAL (we are not a lawyer :-).  Does that
definition help you figure out if that apartment road is a STREEET OR
HIGHWAY?  If it is, do you think a 100m obviously residential driveway
on a 5 acre lot with one house in an area zoned single family is a
STREET OR HIGHWAY?  (not at all obvious to me)!

>> In mass, private ways look like public streets, and I have never seen a
>> "no trespassing" sign on one.
>
> Do you have gated communities?  We have them all over the place here
> in Florida.  I can get you some pictures if you want.  I sort of
> remember ones without gates but with "no trespassing" signs, but I
> might have some difficulty finding examples of that to take pictures.

occasionally we do, but they are not that common.  I know what you mean;
no need for pix.

>> On a driveway (in a gated community, on a person's house), no
>> trespassing signs are not at all odd.
>
> Are you saying that everything behind the gate in a gated community is
> a driveway, or am I misreading that?

No, I would say that whether their is a gate or a sign on a piece of
pavement is not all that important in private way vs driveway.

The OSM don't-worry-be-happy lesson is proably that as long as such
marginal cases are tagged one or the other, 95% of the value of mapping
them has been captured.  I don't worry too much - just pick what seems
right and move on.  But the private way bit has long been an interest of
mine.