[Tagging] shared driveways

Alan Mintz Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.Net
Sat Nov 21 06:18:34 GMT 2009

With regard to apartment complexes, condo complexes, mobile home complexes, 
and gated single-family-home complexes, I usually tag:

- The ways that cross the boundary line from public street into the complex 
are highway=service*** + service=driveway. These are also role=access in 
the relation.
- Other roads completely internal to the complex are highway=service***
- If it is a gated community and/or there is a legal no-trespassing 
posting, additionally tag all roads and other features within the posted 
area as access=private.

*** I have sometimes used highway=residential instead of highway=service 
when the roads are named, have actual postal addresses along them, and 
clearly up to public road standards (width, surface, maintenance, etc.). 
This would apply to some condo and most gated single-family-home complexes.

I rarely draw driveways into businesses or, even more rarely, single-family 
home lots. If I do, they are highway=service + service=driveway, with 
access=private if gated or posted no-trespassing.

Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.net>

More information about the Tagging mailing list