[Tagging] shared driveways

Sat Nov 21 06:18:34 GMT 2009

With regard to apartment complexes, condo complexes, mobile home complexes,
and gated single-family-home complexes, I usually tag:

- The ways that cross the boundary line from public street into the complex
are highway=service*** + service=driveway. These are also role=access in
the relation.
- Other roads completely internal to the complex are highway=service***
- If it is a gated community and/or there is a legal no-trespassing
posting, additionally tag all roads and other features within the posted
area as access=private.

*** I have sometimes used highway=residential instead of highway=service
when the roads are named, have actual postal addresses along them, and
clearly up to public road standards (width, surface, maintenance, etc.).
This would apply to some condo and most gated single-family-home complexes.

I rarely draw driveways into businesses or, even more rarely, single-family
home lots. If I do, they are highway=service + service=driveway, with
access=private if gated or posted no-trespassing.