[Tagging] shared driveways (was How to tag un-named roundabout?)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:19:27 GMT 2009

2009/11/21 Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com>

> You maybe ain't going to like this, but the usual distinction in the UK is
> that residentials are (typically) 6m+ wide and have pavements/sidewalks,
> whereas service is for urban roads which don't have pavements/sidewalks.
>
> Richrd

I don't like it either. In Germany and Italy service roads are non-roads
(parking_aisle and driveway) or very small roads (alley) or service roads
(restricted roads for service access to motorways, factories, ecc.). A
normal road in the city without pavements would be a residential or
unclassified (if not higher rated, and according to the zone).

Maybe I missed something, but your definition is also quite far from what is
documented in the wiki: "Generally for access to a building, motorway
service station, beach, campsite<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Camp_site>,
industrial estate, business park, etc.
This is also commonly used for access to parking, driveways, and alleys. "

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice

cheers,
Martin