[Tagging] wiki+rules for mapping protected areas: nationalpark, naturereserve, etc.

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 18:54:24 GMT 2009

Hi,
It will be great to see what you recommend. I haven't made a final decision,
nor really talked to the talk-ca list about what the 'National Protected
Areas' database that is (going to) be ready for import in Canada.

I have a sample
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.5471&lon=-124.3593&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF

We have 4 main levels of parks.  ... National Parks (run by Parks Canada)
Provincial Parks (run by each provincial parks organization, (BC has 'BC
Parks' Ontario has 'Ontario Parks & Recreation')
and regional parks, such as capital Region District, Cowichan Valley
Regional District, Nanaimo Regional District),
and local  parks such as Victoria Parks, Saanich Parks & Rec,

And aborigional lands is it's own protected area also,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase/Canadian_Aboriginal_Lands
and a sample area is here http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/40490549
(contact that user for details)

And for the national dataset, it's sorted into 6 types, feel free to change
it based on what you see internationally is the standard, and change that
chart, (that was a guess, just from myself)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NRCan_Protected_Areas

I put a 'watch' on it, so i can tell when it was updated. :)

The fixed up page looks great so far, ta,
cheers,
Sam

P.S. the user has a re-direct which i think its not needed)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Typoshrub

Are you in contact with user, who did some edits of Place names template
fixing up, it makes the pages look better?.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ceyockey

I'll jump on IRC about that later, just figured it mention it here 1st. :)