[Tagging] Housenumber interpolation with regularly skipped numbers

Richard Bullock rb357 at cantab.net
Sun Oct 11 14:31:31 BST 2009

> 2009/10/11 Richard Bullock <rb357 at cantab.net>:
>>> In an interpolation, the number of houses is unknown.
>>

>> The wiki page for the Karlsruhe Schema on interpolation has said this
>> since
>> the day it was created;
>>
>> "For missing house-numbers (e.g. missing "12") two ways need to be drawn
>> (e.g. "1-11" and "13-25"). "
>
> This is a little different, the missing numbers are consistently
> missing, 1,5,9,13 instead of 1,3,5,9 etc...

I was replying to the assertion by Anthony that interpolation doesn't
specify which house numbers are present between two numbered nodes - just
that some unspecified number is present. That doesn't seem to be the
original interpretation of the "addr:interpolation" tag. It's not how I use
it. I use it to assert that every house number between the two numbered
nodes is present - according to the interpretation assumed.

With the original post asking about when a regular number is missed - I
agree with Tobias that something like

addr:interpolation=step, step=x

Or even we could just use

addr:interpolation=x

to mean that only every x numbers are included between the first and last

So 1,5,9,13 could be tagged addr:interpolation=4

That seems like a reasonable suggestion and a simple extension of the
existing scheme - extensible to any regularly increasing series of numbers
that may be found anywhere in the World.

addr:interpolation=all would then effectively be identical to
addr:interpolation=1
addr:interpolation=odd/even would then effectively be identical to
addr:interpolation=2