[Tagging] How to tag house numbers based on decametres?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 09:15:58 BST 2009

2009/10/12 Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com>:
> If it's only a problem of routing, wouldn't it be better to let the router
> do the job? The way would have to be tagged with something like
> "numbering=distance", with the correct orientation (from start to end), and
> then it would be easy for a program to find out where #23 is.

Exactly, I was just thinking out loud/trying to get some discussion on
what tags might be most appropriate and so on.

numbering=distance is a little abstract, since US interstate exits are
also based on distance, but use miles instead of decametres so it
might be better to use a tag that has some reference to the Au/NZ
standard.

According to the link Liz posted:

"These guidelines were subsequently reviewed by Standards Australia
and published as an Australian/New Zealand Standard, AS/NZS 4724:2000
Geographic Information – Rural Addressing."

So maybe numbering=as/nzs might be better?

The only problem then is how to tag the start/end of a numbering
section, based on that document major roads are broken up into
sections of 100km.