[Tagging] How to tag house numbers based on decametres?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Oct 12 15:48:04 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:
> 2009/10/12 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
>> Surveying a few points every 100km is easier than surveying every
>> house.  And it's likely that most of the starting/end points will
>> already be in the database (e.g. the intersection of X Street and Y
>> Street).
>>

> If we could get away with only survey 1 point every 100km we would
> have already have finished earth some years ago and be onto the next
> planet....

Quite true.

> I suspect you will need to survey which houses are nearest each road
> junction plus any gaps, I suspect surveying a few points every 100m is
> going to be nearer what you need.

Need for what?  The more survey points, the better.  The accuracy
gradually gets better and better as more points are added.  Eventually
you've surveyed every house - sort of: you'll probably never finish
(unless all the postal services in the world decide to release their
databases into the public domain), because while you were out
surveying some more houses popped up.