[Tagging] Housenumber interpolation with regularlyskippednumbers

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Tue Oct 13 22:36:38 BST 2009

> Just because you're using address interpolation doesn't mean you have
> to use the Karlsruhe Schema, though.  If you have no idea where a
> house is other than it's relative location on a street, you shouldn't
> use the Karlsruhe Schema.  You shouldn't randomly tag locations away
> from the street, if all you know is a location on the street.

  I'm still not convinced that the Tiger Schema / Estimated tagging is any
different from the Karlsruhe Schema, except for precision - all of which
could be resolved by adding level of precision tags to the Karlsruhe Schema.

>>> For clarification, the direction for the purposes of right/left would
>>> be determined by the start and end node, not the direction of the way.
>>> The way could be reversed without breaking anything (and not all the
>>> ways have to even go the same direction).
>>
>> Now I'm confused.   Unless the street is one-way, the only way to find
>> the start and end node is to go into edit mode. Streets can be oriented
>> in
>> any direction, so left/right is often not useful for physical
>> representation
>> on the map.
>
> My suggestion was to use a relation, not to tag the ways directly.
> Tagging the ways directly wouldn't work - an interpolation might cover
> more than one way.

   A relation would work, but would certainly hide addressing details from
any untrained community wishing to submit corrections.